You are here: Home / Get involved / Events and fundraising / Tennis-a-thon
Grab your racket and join us on 23rd July 2023 for a Tennis-a-thon to raise money for families affected by dementiaSign up
Sign up to the Dementia UK Tennis-a-thon and challenge yourself to play tennis for as long as you can on Sunday 23rd July 2023 to raise awareness and vital funds for families facing dementia.
Whether you’re smashing serves against the wall or snatching sets from family and friends, every ball you hit and penny you raise will help our specialist dementia nurses support more families when they need it most.
Anyone can take part: simply sign up and we’ll send you helpful advice for organising your event as well as fundraising tips to help you hit your target.
Ready to sign up?
- Register here – and don’t forget to let us know your organisation if you’re signing up on behalf of your club. We’ll send you one free t-shirt and you can order extra t-shirts for your club members in our shop.
- Set up your online fundraising page on JustGiving, or if you’re fundraising offline, let us know.
- Tell everyone about your event by using some of our great Tennis-a-thon resources.
Fundraising tips and FAQs
The easiest way to collect donations is to set up an online fundraising page on JustGiving. This can be shared easily with friends, family and colleagues – you’ll be amazed by how generous people can be.
To boost your fundraising, why not organise some additional activities to run alongside your Tennis-a-thon challenge? This can help you smash your fundraising goals.
Here are some ideas:
- arrange a raffle – we have a letter of authority that you can print out and take to local businesses to source prizes. Please email email@example.com and we can send this to you
- hold a sweepstake: you could ask people to guess how long your Tennis-a-thon will take, or the number of steps you’ll take on the court during your challenge
- organise a bake sale or summer barbecue at your event to bring in some extra donations on the day
- run a tennis tournament for a donation on entry: you can download and print the promotional poster to spread the word
We’ve got lots of fundraising materials which you can download and print to help you spread the word about your event and display on the day:
- social media graphics:
- promotional poster
- ‘this way’ poster
- thank you poster
- collection jar labels
If you’d like to order extra t-shirts, balloons or collections boxes, please visit our shop.
If you have raised money through JustGiving, the donations will come straight to us – so you don’t need to do anything.
If you have collected cash donations, here’s how you can pay them in.
- The easiest and quickest way to donate is through our website
- Send a cheque made payable to Dementia UK to Dementia UK, 7th Floor, One Aldgate, London, EC3N 1RE.
- Request our bank details to make a bank transfer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call 020 8036 5440 to make a payment by phone.
Once you’ve completed your challenge, we will send you a virtual medal and certificate as a thank you for all your hard work.
What is the Tennis-a-thon?
The Tennis-a-thon is a fundraising activity where we ask participants to challenge themselves to play tennis for as long as they can to raise vital funds and awareness for families facing dementia.
When is the Tennis-a-thon and where can I take part?
The Tennis-a-thon is taking place on Sunday 23rd July 2023, but you can choose to hold your event at any time that suits you. And you can take part wherever you like: at your local tennis court, in the park or sports centre.
Why not let your local tennis club or council know about your fundraising event to see if they can allocate free court space for the day?
Are there spaces on courts booked for this event at tennis clubs?
No, you will need to book your own court space for the day if you are taking part as an individual. Many clubs across the country are participating, so please do ask your local club if it is holding an event, and they may be able to allocate you a space.
I’ve just signed up. Now what?
If you’ve registered for your t-shirt, you’ll receive this in the post along with your fundraising pack. We’ll also send you emails packed with tips to help you organise your event and raise vital funds. Our team is always happy to talk through ideas to help you raise more funds so do get in touch with us at email@example.com
Is there a fundraising target?
There is no fundraising target for this challenge, however we do ask you raise as much as you can for families affected by dementia.
How do I get my free t-shirt?/When will I receive my pack?
- Register for your free pack and select ‘yes’ when asked if you would like a free t-shirt. You can order extra t-shirts for your club here.
- Set up your fundraising page.
- Our packs are sent out weekly every Thursday. Please allow up to three weeks for yours to arrive.
Can I get free t-shirts for my family?
We send out one t-shirt per participant. If you would like to buy some additional Dementia UK branded clothing, please visit our shop.
How do I raise money?
The best way to raise funds is to create a JustGiving page – just head to the JustGiving website to create your own fundraising page.
Once you have created your JustGiving page, be sure to share it with your family and friends via text, email and social media.
If you would also like to take cash donations on the day, you can download our bucket labels or order a collection box by getting in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where do my online donations go?
All donations made to your fundraiser will be sent directly to Dementia UK by JustGiving. These vital donations will help to support families facing dementia.
How can I send in sponsorship money I’ve collected offline?
The easiest way to pay any cash donations to Dementia UK is by donating to yourself through your Just Giving page or Tennis-a-thon donation page.
- You can also donate via our website by clicking here
- Please send cheques with a note including your full name, the email address that you use for registering and an explanation that you raised the money for the Tennis-a-thon Challenge to Dementia UK at the following address: Dementia UK, 7th Floor, One Aldgate, London, EC3N 1RE
- If you would prefer to make a bank transfer, please email email@example.com for the appropriate details
- Alternatively, you can make a payment over the phone by calling 020 8059 4400
Other fundraising ideas
Take a look at some of the other ways you can get together and raise money for people affected by dementiaFind out more
Paying in your donations
You can pay in your donations easily and securely using our online formPay in now