Family time is really precious – savouring those moments of being together and absorbing the unconditional love that you have for each other (most of the time!) These are relationships and bonds that you should never take for granted. When a family is faced with a diagnosis of dementia, Admiral Nurses work with the whole family, truly working in a relationship-centred way and providing practical and emotional support to help keep those special bonds just as they always have been. I’m supporting Time for a Cuppa because every family living with a diagnosis of dementia needs an Admiral Nurse, and Dementia UK needs to raise vital funds to make this happen.
Like many families, we have a special recipe (for a double-decker pink fudge icing cake) that’s been handed down through the generations – but it’s a secret and I haven’t been entrusted with it yet! Therefore, I have chosen ‘Easter nests’ as my family favourite tea-time recipe – the kind with chocolate, cocoa and treacle syrup! It always reminds me of times spent cooking with my mum, and being able to lick the bowl clean! Although they are technically ‘Easter nests’, they can be enjoyed at any time of year! The recipe I remember was from the original Ladybird cook book, but this one here is close to it: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/532264/easter-nests
- 100g Shredded Wheat
- 250g milk chocolate
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- 75g butter, softened
- 1 x 100g bag of Mini Eggs
- Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
- Melt the milk chocolate, golden syrup and butter in a small glass bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Stir regularly with a wooden spoon until the mixture is completely melted and glossy with no lumps.
- Break up the Shredded Wheat into small pieces in a large bowl using your hands.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl with the Shredded Wheat and mix with the wooden spoon until all the Shredded Wheat is covered in the melted chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into the 12 cases, dividing evenly. Use your index finger to create a well in the centre of each nest. Add a few Mini Eggs to each nest.
- Leave to cool and in the fridge for 2 hrs.