Sources of support and advice

Print copy below
Content below is reflective of the PDF leaflet.

This booklet is for family carers of people with dementia and for people living with dementia. It may also be useful for professionals working in the field of dementia care.

What is dementia?

Dementia is a broad umbrella term that describes the progressive decline in someone’s mental ability. Symptoms of dementia could include: memory loss, changes in behaviour and personality, problems with reasoning and communication skills, and a reduced ability to carry out daily activities, such as washing and dressing.
There are many different forms and causes of dementia. The most common are: Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia, mixed dementia, dementia with Lewy bodies and frontotemporal dementia.

About Dementia UK

Dementia UK provides specialist dementia support for families through our Admiral Nurse service. When things get challenging or difficult for people with dementia and their families, Admiral Nurses work alongside them, giving them the one-to-one support, expert guidance and practical solutions they need. The unique dementia expertise and experience an Admiral Nurse brings is a lifeline–it helps everyone in the family to live more positively with dementia in the present, and to face the challenges of tomorrow with more confidence and less fear.

We run a national Admiral Nurse Dementia Helpline. It is staffed by experienced Admiral Nurses and is for family and professional carers, people with dementia and those worried about their memory. Call 0800 888 6678 or email

What does an Admiral Nurse do?

Admiral Nurses provide the one-to-one specialist dementia support that families need:

  • if communication gets hard, we’re on hand with the skills and techniques to help families stay connected to the person they love
  • if someone with dementia is showing signs of fear or distress, we’ll work with families to find the best ways of preventing or managing this
  • if families are struggling to cope, we’ll be there to help them get their loved one the best possible care
  • if families have questions they can’t get answered, we’ll take the time to really understand the problem, and give them the support they need to tackle it

Admiral Nurse Dementia Helpline

Living with dementia can be an incredibly hard and lonely experience for both the person with dementia and their family.

This booklet contains up-to-date information to help you navigate some of the experiences dementia may present. It has practical advice covering a range of topics, including the financial support you or the person you care for might be entitled to, and equipment and assistive technology.

If you have any extra questions that aren’t answered in this information booklet, please get in touch with our Admiral Nurse Dementia Helpline.

Our Helpline is the only nurse-led dementia helpline in the UK, and offers practical, emotional and psychological support to anyone affected by dementia.

Our nurses are here to answer your calls seven days a week. Contact them on 0800 888 6678. The Helpline is free and confidential and is open from 9am to 9pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5pm at weekends. If you call outside of these times, please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.

You can also send any questions you have by email to and one of our Admiral Nurses will respond.

Where to go for help

You may be reading this booklet because you are concerned that a family member or close friend may have dementia or because they have just been diagnosed, or perhaps you’ve just received a diagnosis yourself and want to make plans for the future.
It can be hard at first to know where to go to for help when faced with dementia. Initially most support can be found by accessing one of the following two services:

Your GP

If you need help getting a diagnosis, or require any other medical support, start by visiting your local GP. They may then refer you to other services that can offer specialist support.

Social services or council

There are many services that your local social services or council might be able offer you to make things a little easier. You could receive help around the home, access to day clubs and respite, and support managing medication and making adjustments to your home.
The help you receive from social services will be means-tested, and the level of support you receive can also vary within each local authority. Make an appointment with your local social services to get an assessment of your needs or the needs of the person you’re supporting.

If you’re caring for someone with dementia, you can also make an appointment for a carer’s assessment and may get access to services or benefits to support you in your caring role.

Financial help

We know that getting a dementia diagnosis can sometimes make you feel out of control. Many people find that planning ahead for the future can help them feel more assured.

If you have a dementia diagnosis, or are caring for someone who does, you could be entitled to a number of benefits. Use the online Benefits Calculator to see the benefits you, or the person you care for, might be entitled to. Visit

Attendance allowance

What is it?
A benefit paid by the UK government to people over 65 years old.

Am I eligible?
You can claim it if your ability to keep safe or look after your own personal care is affected by physical or mental illness or disability.

How much is it?
There are two weekly rates:
£58.70 if you need help or supervision either in the day or at night
£87.65 if you need help or supervision both in the day and at night, or if you’re terminally ill

Claiming Attendance Allowance will not reduce any other income you receive, and it is tax-free. If you are awarded it, you may become entitled to other benefits, such as Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, or an increase in these benefits. Successful claims can be backdated to when you first applied.

How do I apply?
Call 0800 731 0122 from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. Download forms at

Carer’s Allowance

What is it?
A UK government payment to the carer of someone who receives other benefits, like Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment, or Disability Living Allowance.

Am I eligible?
You need to:

  • be 16 years of age or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
  • earn no more than £123 a week, once allowable expenses are deducted
  • not be in receipt of certain other benefits, like Incapacity Benefit or a State Pension

How much is it?
You can receive £66.15 a week. Keep in mind that the person being cared for may lose some of their benefits if their carer receives this allowance. Find out more about which benefits could be affected:

How do I apply?
Call the Carer’s Allowance Unit on 0800 731 0297 between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Apply online at

Carer’s credit

What is it?
It’s a benefit paid by the UK government to carers which helps build your entitlement to the basic State and Additional State Pension.

Am I eligible?
Your income, savings or investments won’t affect eligibility for Carer’s Credit. You need to be:

  • caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week
    over 16 but under State Pension age
  • looking after someone who gets specific benefits, like Attendance Allowance

How much is it?
You won’t receive cash but will get credits to help fill gaps in your National Insurance record.

How do I apply?
Call 0800 731 0297 Monday to Friday 8:00am to 6:00pm.

Download the Carer’s Credit claim form online at

Council Tax Reduction

What is it?
Council tax is a fee local authorities charge to people living in residential properties to help meet the cost of local services. Certain reductions on the charge are available for some people.

Am I eligible?
If a person with dementia receives either Attendance Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, or Disability Living Allowance at the middle or higher rate, they should be exempt from paying council tax in England, Wales and Scotland.

Also, some carers do not have to pay council tax if they are living with and caring for a person with dementia who gets the higher rate of Attendance Allowance or Personal Independent Payment.

How much is it?
If a person with dementia lives in a house with someone else, the council tax should be reduced by 25%. If the person with dementia lives alone, they are exempt from paying council tax.

How do I apply?
Call your local council tax department and ask for a form for ‘mental impairment’.

Find out more at

Disability Premium

What is it?
Disability Premium is a UK government benefit from the UK government which is added to Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance if you qualify for it.

Am I eligible?
You must be under pension credit age and be receiving: Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Armed Forces Independence Payment, Working Tax Credit with a disability element, Attendence Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance, War Pensioners Mobility Supplement, Severe Disability Allowance
or Incapacity Benefit.

How much is it?
You could receive £34.35 a week if you’re single and £48.95 a week if you’re part of a couple.

How do I apply?
You don’t have to claim Disability Premium as it’s automatically added to your Income Support if you’re eligible. Call your local Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 6688 from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, if it hasn’t been paid.

Find out more at

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Universal Credit

What is it?
ESA is a UK government benefit paid to people whose illness or disability affects their ability to work. It is being replaced by a new benefit called Universal Credit.

Am I eligible?
You need to be:

  • under State Pension age
  • not in receipt of Statutory Sick Pay or Statutory Maternity Pay
  • not in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • You might be transferred from Incapacity Benefit to ESA and won’t be expected to return to work.

How much is it?
You’ll get a pre-assessment rate of between £57.90 and £73.10 when you first claim. Then, after 13 weeks, you can receive up to £111.65
a week.

How do I apply?
Call Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644 between 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
Find out more at

ESA is being replaced by a new benefit called Universal Credit. Universal Credit is being introduced in stages throughout the UK. To find out if you are eligible to apply for Universal Credit or ESA, please visit

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

What is it?
A benefit paid by the UK government which helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability.

Am I eligible?
You need to be aged 16 to 64 and living in Great Britain. PIP is tax-free and you can get it whether you’re in or out of work.

How much is it?
You could get between £22.65 and £145.35 a week, depending on how your condition affects you.

How do I apply?
To apply, call The Department of Work and Pensions on
0800 917 2222 from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Find out more at

Personal Health Budget

What is it?
A personal health budget is an amount of money to support your health and wellbeing needs, which is planned and agreed between you (or someone who represents you), and your local NHS team. It allows you to manage your healthcare and support such as treatments, equipment and personal care, in a way that suits you.

Am I eligible?
The right to have a personal health budget only applies to adults currently in receipt of NHS Continuing Healthcare, but local NHS organisations are free to offer personal health budgets to other people on a voluntary basis if they think an individual will benefit from it.

How do I apply?
Talk to your local NHS team who help you most often with your care.

Personal Budget

What is it?
Local authorities have a legal responsibility to ensure that your needs are met. A personal budget is an amount of money from a local authority to help people to manage their care in a way that suits them. If they agree to pay for some or all of your care needs, the local authority must also offer a choice of how to meet your needs. The aim of personal budgets is to give people greater choice over the care and support they receive.

Am I eligible?
A person must have been assessed as requiring services in order to receive a personal budget, and the payment must be used to purchase the services that the person needs. Payments may be made to the carers and to people with dementia.

How do I apply?
You can request information about a personal budget by contacting your social services department and asking for a Needs Assessment.

How are these budgets paid?
Once a care and support plan has been put in place, it can be managed in different ways:

  • No money changes hands as the NHS team or council arranges the agreed care and support
  • A different organisation or trust holds the money for the individual and supports them to decide what they need
  • The individual receives a direct payment and manages the services themselves

What is the difference between a personal health budget and a personal budget?
A personal budget is for your social care needs, while a personal health budget is for your NHS healthcare needs.

Can I join up my personal health budget and my personal budget?
Personal health budgets and personal budgets may be joined together into one package of care.

Paying for care
Provision of care in the UK is the joint responsibility of the NHS who provides healthcare, and the local authority social services who provide social and personal care. Services that the NHS provides are mostly free. But, you may have to pay for all or some of the services that have been arranged by your local authority social services, depending on your income and the amount of your savings.

Any decision as to whose responsibility it is to provide care can have significant financial consequences. A booklet produced by the Alzheimer’s Society, called ‘When does the NHS pay for care?’ offers guidance on eligibility. It explains what NHS Continuing Care is, how you might be able to get it, and what to do if your request is turned down. Read ‘When does the NHS pay for care?’.

For more information on free care outside of hospital that is arranged and funded by the NHS, search NHS Continuing Care on

Legal issues

Power of Attorney

If you’ve been diagnosed with dementia, you might want to think about choosing someone to make health, welfare and/or financial decisions for you in the future when you may not have the capacity to make them for yourself. The person you choose is called an attorney and is appointed by a formal document called a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA).

There are two types of LPA:

  • A personal welfare LPA – for decisions about health and personal welfare, such as where you might live, your day-to-day care or medical treatment
  • A property and affairs LPA – for decisions about finances, such as selling your house or managing your bank account

Contact your solicitor to make an LPA, or use a special form from the Office of the Public Guardian. You can call the Office of the Public Guardian on 0300 456 0300, from 9am to 5pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and between 10am and 5pm on Wednesdays.

You can also download this. Please see Dementia UK’s leaflet on making an LPA here.

If you don’t have a solicitor and have questions about Power of Attorney, contact Allied Services Trust, a charity providing education, assistance and support helping individuals prepare for possible incapacity. Call Allied Services Trust on 01590 644073.

Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA)

EPAs have been replaced by Lasting Power of Attorneys. However, if you made and signed an EPA before 1 October 2007, it’s still valid. An EPA only covers decisions about your property and financial affairs. That means an attorney does not have power under an EPA to make decisions about your health and welfare.

While you are able to make your own decisions, your attorney can use an EPA to help manage your finances without registering it with the Office of the Public Guardian. When you become unable to make your own decisions relating to financial and property matters, the EPA must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian before your attorney can take any further action on your behalf.

Call the Office of the Public Guardian on 0300 456 0300, from 9am to 5pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and between 10am and 5pm on Wednesdays.

Find out more at

Deputyship under the Court of Protection

The Court of Protection might be able to help you if you’re caring for someone with dementia. It deals with issues relating to people who lack capacity to make decisions for themselves.

Under the Mental Capacity Act, the court has the power to make:

  • decisions about the personal welfare or property and financial affairs of people who lack the capacity to make such decisions themselves
  • declarations about a person’s capacity to make a decision, if this can’t be resolved informally
  • decisions about medical treatment around providing, withdrawing or withholding treatment to someone who ‘lacks capacity’

The court can appoint a ‘deputy’ to take control of someone’s affairs:

  • in the absence of an EPA or LPA
  • if they believe someone is in immediate danger or at risk and another person needs to act on their behalf

Call The Court of Protection on 0300 456 4600 from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

To find out more about becoming a deputy or what the court does, please visit

Find a solicitor

‘Find a Solicitor’ is a free service for anyone looking for information about organisations or people providing legal services in England and Wales that are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

You can find out more at


Accessible parking

If you have dementia, or care for someone living with dementia, you should be able to apply for a Blue Badge. It’s a scheme which helps you park closer to your destination if you’re disabled or have a health condition.

Call your local council or the Blue Badge Initial Enquiry Support Service on 0844 463 0213 (England), 0844 463 0214 (Scotland), or
0844 463 0215 (Wales). Send an email to
To apply for a badge online, please visit
To apply for a badge in Northern Ireland, visit

Blocking calls

It can be distressing and expensive if you, or your family member with dementia, make repeat phone calls to certain numbers, especially if they are premium rate ones.

British Telecom (BT) can set up a service that allows you to dial 10 numbers, which might include friends, family, your GP etc, but block others. It’s called Network Controlled Calling.

For more information call BT on 0800 919 591 from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Download a brochure about the service.


If you, or a person you are caring for, has a dementia diagnosis and drives, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and insurance company need to be informed. Your GP, a psychiatrist or neurologist can do this for you but might charge a fee.

You won’t necessarily have to give up driving straight away and could be issued with an annual license or be required to take a free driving test. But if you do not tell the DVLA, you can be fined up to £1,000.
Call the DVLA on 0300 790 6806 from 8am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays.

To download a form to tell the DVLA about a dementia diagnosis, visit

Eye care

It’s important to have your eyes checked regularly to make sure problems, like cataracts and Glaucoma, are diagnosed promptly and that you have the correct prescription for your glasses or contact lenses.Opticians can visit you at home to conduct an eye test, prescribe lenses and show you a range of frames.

Call the Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) on
0303 123 9999 or send an email to For more information, please visit the RNIB website and search, ‘eye examination at home’:


It’s really important to maintain a healthy, balanced diet for physical and mental wellbeing.

One company that offers home food delivery is Wiltshire Farm Foods. It can normally deliver food to someone with dementia weekly or fortnightly. You get the same police-checked driver each time and they can put meals into the freezer if you want them to.

Call Wiltshire Farm Food’s 24 hour number 0800 077 3100.

Identity cards

It’s a good idea for someone diagnosed with dementia to carry an identity card explaining that they have memory problems. This can help if they have an accident, or are unsure of where they are as the card can provide details of emergency contacts.

You could sew this information into a jacket or a handbag so that it’s not easily removed. Or buy an identification bracelet, like those provided by MedicAlert (details below). They sell jewellery engraved with details of the person’s condition, an ID number and a 24-hour emergency phone number.

If you’re a carer, carrying an identity card saying that you are caring for a person with dementia can help make sure they get support if you are taken ill.

Call our Admiral Nurse Dementia Helpline on 0800 888 6678 or email and ask us to send identity cards for you and the person you care for in the post. Call MedicAlert on 01908 951045. For more information on MedicAlert visit

Incontinence pads

Incontinence can be embarrassing and prevent you from leaving your home. To help prevent it from stopping you–or the person you care for–being active, you can buy incontinence pads in major chemists. Also ask your GP for a continence assessment.

There are many companies that sell incontinence pads, find suppliers further down this list.


Taking the right dose of your prescribed medication at the right time is very important. But when there are lots of tablets to take, it can be easy to lose track of when they were last taken. Pharmacies offer ways to prompt your memory. They can:

  • get your prescription straight from your GP
  • remind you when you are due to have a medication review with you GP
  • deliver you medication to your door at the same time each week or month
  • package your medication up so it’s in day and time slots delivered to you on a weekly or monthly basis

Speak to your local pharmacy or the administrator at your GP surgery.

Public toilets

You can get access to 9,000 locked public toilets around the country if you have a health condition like dementia. This is through the National Key Scheme (NKS). You’ll find the toilets in shopping centres, pubs, cafés, department stores, bus and train stations in most parts of the country.

Keys to unlock the toilets cost £5.40, including VAT, for delivery in Europe. You can also download an app to your smartphone which gives you directions to your nearest NKS toilet.

Call Disability Rights on 0330 995 0400 from 10am to 1.30pm and 2.30pm to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

For more information on NKS, visit

Stopping cold calls

To stop unsolicited cold calls from UK callers, you can register for free with the Telephone Preference Service. Once you’re registered, telemarketers are legally bound not to call you.
You can register at

For more information call the Telephone Preference Service on 0345 070 0707.

Or write to Telephone Preference Service, DMA House, 70 Margaret Street, London W1W 8SS.

To stop unsolicited cold calls, especially those from abroad, you can install a nuisance call blocking device, such as Truecall. Truecall also has a nuisance call blocking device for those with extra care needs.

or more information telephone Truecall on 0800 0336 330 or please visit

Stopping unsolicited mail

To stop unsolicited mail arriving from UK businesses, you can register with the Mailing Preference Service for free.
You can register at
Or call Mailing Preference Service on 020 7291 3310.

You can also stop unaddressed mail to your home, like free newspapers and magazines, catalogues, information leaflets, advertising brochures and money-off coupons, local directories and product samples.

To do this, ask the Direct Marketing Association UK for details of their ‘Your Choice’ Preference Service for Unaddressed Mail.
For more information please visit
Or call Direct Marketing Association UK on 020 7291 3300
You can send an email to

Through the Fundraising Preference Service (FPS), you can choose to stop email, telephone, addressed post, and/or text messages from a selected charity or charities.
For more information please visit
Or call their helpline on 0300 3033 517.

Hebert Protocol

This is a national scheme being introduced by the police and other agencies which encourages carers to compile useful information which could be used in the event of a vulnerable person going missing.
You can find out more at

Equipment and assistive technology

Your first port of call for equipment should be Social Services. It is your right as a carer, or someone with dementia, to have an assessment of your needs from your local council. They can advise what local services can support you or provide a package of care. This can include personal, short break and day care, meals on wheels and support through technology.

Only the financial details of the person with dementia have to be disclosed and this does not include the property they live in if it’s shared with their partner or spouse.
Find the number of your local social services department online at
Please read Dementia UK’s leaflet on the Carer’s Assessment here:

AT Dementia

AT Dementia is a charity that provides information and advice on assistive technology for people with dementia.
Call 0115 74 84220.

Living Made Easy

Living made easy is an impartial advice and information website about daily living equipment and other aspects of independent living. It has been developed by the Disabled Living Foundation.
Call the helpline on 0300 999 0004 from 10am-4pm, Monday to Friday.

Personal safety alarm

If you’re worried that you might fall or need help when you’re on your own-or that the person you care for could-a personal safety alarm can help ease your worries. It’s a portable alarm that the person with dementia wears on a cord or wrist band. They press it and someone from the personal safety alarm company will speak to them through a loud speaker. They will assess the situation and call for medical assistance or a family member if necessary.

You may be able to get one of these through a needs assessment from your local authority.

Washing and grooming

You can buy no rinse shampoo and body wash, skin care, disposable gloves, and personal care items from a number of suppliers, such as Amazon and the specialist companies overleaf.


If you need a wheelchair, your GP can refer you to an Occupational Therapist who may be able to provide one free of charge.
There are also a number of other suppliers who can help, a selection of which can be found overleaf. From wheelchairs to washing aids, there are lots of useful things you can receive free or purchase – VAT-free – to help you live more independently with dementia or to support the person you care for.

Companies offering products for people with dementia


A company selling clothes which may make it easier to get dressed when you have dementia or dress the person you care for. For example, they sell open back trousers, shirts, blouses, dresses, skirts and nighties.
Contact ADAPTAWear on 0800 051 1931, 8.30am-6pm, Monday
to Friday.

The Complete Care Shop

The Complete Care Shop offers care equipment for elderly and disabled people, including washing, dressing and comfort aids, and personal care.
Contact The Complete Care Shop on 0845 5194 734, 8.3am-5.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Nottingham Rehab Supplies

A national company selling daily living aids including grab rails, bath seats and eating and drinking aids.
Contact Nottingham Rehab Supplies on 0345 121 8111 from
8.30am-5pm, Monday to Friday.

Live Better with Dementia

Live Better with Dementia is a website which offers specialised products for people living with dementia. Items range from health and wellbeing products and gifts to mobility and hygiene. It also offers advice and an online community.
Contact Live Better with Dementia on 0203 870 3874 from 8am-8pm, Monday to Friday.

Care regulators

There are a range of care providers in the UK. Find out how they are meeting standards by checking with the relevant regulator below.

Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW)

An organisation that regulates and inspects adult care, childcare and social services for people in Wales.

Care Inspectorate

Set up by Scottish Government, the Care Inspectorate regulates and inspects care services in Scotland to make sure they meet the right standards. It publishes all reports on their website.

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

The Care Quality Commission is the independent regulator for all health and social care in England. They monitor, inspect and regulate services and publish what they find, including performance ratings to help people choose care.

The Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA)

RQIA is the independent body responsible for monitoring and inspecting the availability and quality of health and social care services in Northern Ireland, and encouraging improvements to the quality of those services

Organisations offering help and support

The following pages provide information about other organisations that may be helpful to you.

Age UK

A UK-wide charity which can provide: information and advice, subsidised holidays, insurance, legal and financial advice and wills, day care, carers groups, and community dementia support workers.
Visit for more information about local services
Call 0800 678 1602 for help and advice.

Alzheimer’s Society

A national charity providing support to people with all types of dementia and their carers. It provides: a helpline, day care, support services, carers groups, social events, advice and help with claiming benefits.
Call 0300 222 11 22 for help and advice.

Bladder and Bowel Community

The Bladder and Bowel Community is a UK wide service for people with bladder and bowel control problems. It provides information and support services, including a confidential helpline, for anyone affected by these conditions as well as their families, carers and healthcare professionals.
Call 01926 357 220 for general enquiries.

Carers Trust

A charity which supports unpaid carers through: short breaks, information, advice, education, training and employment opportunities, emotional and practical help. They have a network of 116 independent carers centres, 55 Crossroads Care schemes – which provide care in people’s home so carers can take a break – and 99 young carers services.
Call 0300 772 9600 for general enquiries.
Send an email to

Carers UK

A charity offering expert advice, information and support for all carers. This includes a very useful handout ‘Your Guide to a Carer’s Assessment’ and a telephone helpline providing information.
Call the Carers UK helpline on 0808 808 7777, from 10am-4pm, on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Cinnamon Trust

A charity which helps older people and those with health conditions to be with their pets for longer. Volunteers offer dog walking and the charity can provide long term care for animals whose owners have died or moved to accommodation where pets aren’t allowed.
Call 01736 757900 from 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice is a network of 316 independent charities throughout the UK. They give free, confidential information and advice to assist people with money, benefits, housing, employment, legal, consumer and other problems.
For England, Wales and Northern Ireland, call Adviceline on
03444 111 444, 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.

Dementia Adventure

A charity which runs small group short breaks and holidays for people living with dementia and their carers. They offer an alternative to traditional respite as their short breaks mean people living with dementia can get outdoors, connect with nature and retain a sense of adventure in their lives.
Call 01245 237548 for general enquiries.

Dementia UK

Dementia UK is a charity whose main focus is providing specialist one-to-one support and expert advice for families living with dementia through our Admiral Nurse service. In addition to leaflets, Dementia UK also provides information online.
Call 020 8036 5400 for more information.
Call the Admiral Nurse Dementia Helpline on 0800 888 6678 for support and advice.

Elderly Accommodation Counsel

A charity offering older people and their carers advice and information about care and housing options in later life so they can access the local services they need.
Visit the main charity website
Visit the charity’s housing and care options website
For the charity’s advice service visit or call 0800 377 7070 from 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.

For You By You – the Charity for Civil Servants

A charity providing practical, financial and emotional support to current and former civil servants.
Visit or call 0800 056 2424, 8.30am-5pm, Monday to Friday .

Friends of the Elderly

A charity offering one-off grants to people of state retirement age in England and Wales on a low income and not in a residential care home. The grants help with replacing essential items, such as basic furniture, flooring, and household appliances. They can also help with paying utility bills. Visit or call 0330 332 1110. Send an email to

Independent Age

A charity providing advice and support to older people and their families. They offer regular phone calls and visits to older people as well as impartial information on: care and support, money and benefits, and health and mobility.
Call the charity’s advice line on 0800 319 6789, 8.30am-6.30pm, Monday to Friday and 9am to 1pm on Saturdays.

Parkinson’s UK

Parkinson’s UK is a Parkinson’s research and support charity. The charity offers support and information to people affected by Parkinson’s disease/dementia, their families and carers through a network of 350 local groups across the UK. The charity also has a free confidential helpline.
Call the helpline on 0808 800 0303 from 9am-7pm, Monday to Friday and from 10am – 2pm on Saturdays.
Send an email to

Pathways Through Dementia

A charity which helps people plan ahead for dementia. It is dedicated to helping people unravel the legalities of the dementia journey such as paying for care, managing finances and welfare benefits.
Call the legal helpline on 020 3405 5940.

RAF Benevolent Fund

A welfare charity supporting current and former members of the RAF, their partners and dependants. Their services include welfare breaks, grants to help with financial difficulty and getting about inside and outside the home, specialist benefits advice and support with care needs.
Visit call helpline on 0300 102 1919 0r email

Rare Dementia Support

Rare Dementia Support runs specialist support services for individuals living with, or affected by, one of five rare dementia diagnoses: frontotemporal dementia (FTD), posterior cortical atrophy (PCA), primary progressive aphasia (PPA), familial Alzheimer’s disease (FAD) and familial frontotemporal dementia (fFTD).
Visit or call 07341 776 317.


A charity which provides short breaks and holidays for people with physical disabilities and carers.
Visit or call 0303 303 0145.


A charity providing a 24-hour telephone listening service for anyone feeling life is not worth living, and wanting to talk to someone.

Call 116 123, available 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
Send an email to for a reply within 12 hours.

The Smallwood Trust

A charity which offers regular grants to women of working age in need of financial help. To qualify, women need to: live alone, have limited savings, receive some form of means tested benefit and not be eligible for help from any other charity.
Visit or call 0300 365 1886.

The Lewy Body Society

A charity which funds Lewy body dementia research. They also raise awareness of Lewy body dementia and provide information and support for people with the condition and their carers.
Visit or call 01942 914000.

The Relatives and Residents Association

This charity runs a helpline which offers information, comfort and support to carers helping someone make the move into a residential home or with concerns about the care someone might be receiving. They can make calls or write to relevant people about these matters on your behalf.
Call 020 7359 8136 from 9.30am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Send an email to

The Silver Line

A charity which runs a free confidential helpline providing information, friendship and advice to older people. It’s open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. They also offer a telephone befriending service.
Call 0800 470 8090.

YoungDementia UK

A national charity supporting younger people with dementia and their families.


We hope that you found this resource helpful. If you have any feedback, please send an email to:

Sources of Support and Advice

Order hard copies of our information leaflets