What to do post diagnosis

My Dad has just been diagnosed with vascular dementia. What can I do to give him and my Mum the help and support that they will need?

Following your Dad’s diagnosis your mum and dad should have received information from their GP and been advised on what support is available to them in their local area. It is worth checking with your mum whether your dad has been referred to any health care specialists or if she received any advice and information from their GP. If you speak to their local council and health and social services, they should be able to advise on the care and financial benefits that both your mum and dad are entitled to. There should be a local support group or memory café they can attend or a day care centre your Dad can attend to give your Mum some respite.

It would be beneficial for all three of you to discuss together: the type of care and support they would like to receive; their finances and how best to manage these moving forwards; and legal documentation like putting in place for your father an enduring or lasting power of attorney and a living will. A power of attorney is a legal document that lets you appoint one or more people to help you make decisions or make decisions on your behalf; and a living will is where you express your wishes about how you want to be treated and cared for in certain situations, in case you lack capacity to make or communicate your decisions at the time.  By encouraging an open discussion, understanding the type of care and support they would like, and forward planning, you will be in a position to help and support them. This Information Sheet will also help you with guidance or contact our Admiral Nursing Direct helpline.